×
Home > About > History of the School

History of the School

For more information on the history of the School, you can purchase our Birkenhead School Pictorial History books (Parts 1 and 2) from the OBS website: http://www.obs.org.uk/merchandise
 

Contact Information

Archives
Email: archives@birkenheadschool.co.uk
 

"Birkenhead may appear traditional from the outset but there is a strong streak of innovation running through all areas that shows it does not rest on past successes."

Good Schools Guide 2017
 
 

2010

150th Anniversary Celebrations take place and His Royal Highness, The Earl of Wessex, opens the new Prep extension and Sixth Form Centre.

 

2008

The School becomes fully co-educational welcoming girls into all year groups.

 

2000

The School welcomes girls, into the Sixth Form, for the first time in the School’s history.

 

1976

The School becomes independent following the discontinuation of the Direct Grant.

 

1960

Centenary Celebrations take place.

 

1952

McAllester Memorial Ground is opened by the Earl of Shrewsbury.

 

1931

‘Overdale’, the home of Years 7 and 8 is presented to the School by Rt. Hon. H. Graham White, MP.

 

1906

Old Birkonian Society is established to provide an alumni network for pupils.

 

 

1889

The Prep School opens.

 

1883

The School Chapel opens.

 

1871

The School moves to Shrewsbury Road.

 

1860

Birkenhead Proprietory School established on Park Road North.