The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) is how the Government and Early Year’s Professionals describe the time in a child’s life between birth and age five.
This stage of development is extremely important as a child’s experiences in the early years of their life have a major impact on their future life chances. We believe that a secure, safe and happy childhood is important in its own right as it provides the foundation for children to make the most of their abilities and talents as they grow up.
The Early Years Foundation Stage:
- Sets the standards for learning, development and care that young children should experience
- Provides for equality of opportunity and non-discriminatory practice ensuring that every child is included
- Creates the framework for partnership working between parents and professional and between all the settings that your child attends
- Helps improve quality and consistency in the Early Year’s sector through a universal set of standards
- Lays the foundation for future learning that plans around the individual needs and interests of the child
How will your child be learning?
Your child will be learning new skills, acquiring new knowledge and demonstrating their understanding through seven areas of learning and development. Your child will look to develop their skills in the three prime areas first which are the most essential for their healthy development and future learning.
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
As your child grows, the primary areas will help them to develop skills in four specific areas.
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
The seven areas are used to plan your child’s learning and activities and the Nursery teammake sure that the activities are tailored and personalised to each child’s individual needs.
Health and Education Integrated Review
Shortly after your child’s second birthday, you will meet with your child’s key person and the Link Health Professional for a Health and Education Integrated Review.