Throughout their time in Pre-Prep, children have opportunities to play, explore and take part in a wide range of activities in the wider School setting so that, when the time comes, they feel happy and confident about moving on to Reception and the next stage of their educational journey at the School.
Throughout the year
- Children have their lunch in the School Dining Hall
- Children take part in performances in Prep Hall at Christmas and in the Summer
- The annual Pre-Prep Sports Day takes place on the School Field
- Year 6 pupils are ‘Reading Buddies’ and visit Pre-Prep weekly to read with the younger pupils.
- Pupils from Prep regularly help and support children from Pre-Prep encouraging children to make friendships across the different year groups and school community.
Activities to support the transition to School
The Reception teachers plan a variety of events and visits to support the move to Reception. These include:
- Listening to stories told by the Reception teachers in Pre-Prep
- Having play-dates in Reception before they start
- Taking part in assemblies in Little School in the summer term
- Spending a day in in Reception so that they feel become familiar with their new classroom and teacher before they start.
Reception teachers also offer an Induction Evening in June for new parents so that parents have an opportunity to meet their child’s class teacher and teaching assistant and to see the classroom and resources on offer.