There are lots of activities in Nursery for our children to enjoy and these include:
- Daily,” Music & Movement”
- Daily” letter & sounds”
- Activities & Stories
- Field activities
- Water play using hoses, gutters, tubes, buckets, nature walks
- Movement games, parachute games
- Messy play with paint, play-dough, goop, water, sand, shaving foam, sludge and slime, nature box, space putty Creative activities
- Role play
- Den making
- Maths activities- pegs &boards, unfix, sequencing, tape measures, weighing, shapes, sorting, matching, counting, puzzles
- Daily ICT – using laptops with a variety of software available, Dictaphones, MP3 player’s electronic games, Cameras, CDs and stories.
- Construction, stickle bricks, Duplo, mega block, wooden bricks. Den making kits.
- Writing skills, tracing, coloring using paints, pastels, chalks, mark making using sand, shaving foam, water,
- Visits from the fire brigade, local farmers, exotic animal parties, Christmas production and party, summer leaver’s production, nature walks
Children also benefit from access to the wider School resources and enjoy:
The Outdoor Classroom
This is where children can listen to stories by a member of the Nursery team as well as enjoy lots of fun activities including planting and ‘Bubble Discos’
As part of our diverse learning programme we operate a Forest School methodology where we take our children over to the woods to experience the wonders of learning outdoors.
Forest School is an inspirational process that offers ALL learners regular opportunities to achieve, develop confidence and self-esteem, through hands-on learning experiences in a woodland or natural environment with trees.
All the children will be given chances to exercise, play, grow, learn, laugh and share and also to learn to reflect. Our objective is to give the children freedom in nature, and to have flexible, knowledgeable, trained adult support, supporting their own self-initiated learning.
We provide an environment in which children can stretch themselves physically, socially, emotionally and intellectually, each according to their own individual need and their own stage of development.
At Birkenhead School Nursery we are fervent believers that all children learn best when their own personal levels of wellbeing are high.
Click here to find out more about Forest School
Our outdoor areas are a particular feature of the School and these are well equipped and secure all round. We hold activities in the field such as sports, teddy bears picnic, nature hunts and walks, ball games, music and movement to name but a few.
In their own inclusive outdoor spaces, the children are able to choose for themselves where they would like to play, for example on the playground equipment or take part in other activities such as water play, den building, ball games, trikes and cars, role play etc.
We also have small garden areas where we grow our own strawberries and wild flowers.